What does lofty mean?
1a : elevated in character and spirit : noble lofty ideals. b : elevated in status : superior the less lofty customers of the bar. 2 : having a haughty overbearing manner : supercilious She showed a lofty disregard for their objections. 3a : rising to a great height : impressively high lofty mountains.
What does lofty spirit mean?
1 of majestic or imposing height. 2 exalted or noble in character or nature. 3 haughty or supercilious. 4 elevated, eminent, or superior.
What is lofty behavior?
someone who has a lofty manner or attitude behaves in a way that shows they think they are better than other people. Synonyms and related words. Describing arrogant and over-confident people or behaviour.
How do you use lofty?
(1) The lofty walls of the castle seemed impregnable. (2) He stayed at the ISH, from whose lofty heights he could see across New York. (3) The room was light and lofty compared with our Tudor ones. (4) From our lofty vantage point, we could see the city spread out below us.
What is an example of lofty?
The definition of lofty is very high in the air, elevated in character, or overly grand. An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase a lofty tree which means a tree that is very tall.
How do you use lofty in a sentence?
Lofty sentence example
- The surrounding mountains are lofty and rugged. …
- He is such a lofty , heavenly soul! …
- I have faith only in God and the lofty destiny of our adored monarch. …
- It is a lofty tree reaching a height of 170 ft._ or more, with a massive trunk io to 15 ft.
What are lofty ideas?
adjective. A lofty ideal or ambition is noble, important, and admirable. It was a bank that started out with grand ideas and lofty ideals. Synonyms: noble, grand, distinguished, superior More Synonyms of lofty. adjective.
What is the meaning of sorrowfully?
1 : full of or marked by sorrow a sorrowful goodbye. 2 : expressive of or inducing sorrow sorrowful eyes. Other Words from sorrowful Synonyms More Example Sentences Learn More About sorrowful.
What does being haughty mean?
: blatantly and disdainfully proud : having or showing an attitude of superiority and contempt for people or things perceived to be inferior haughty aristocrats haughty young beauty … never deigned to notice us— Herman Melville.