Stories (with a lesson) taught by Buddha: “The lost son”

Photo by Kris Schulze on Pexels.com

THE LOST SON

“A young widower, who loved his five year old son very much, was away on business when bandits came who burned down the whole village and took his son away. When the man returned, he saw the ruins and panicked. The took the burnt corpse of an infant to be his son and cried uncontrollably. He organized a cremation ceremony, collected the ashes and put them in a beautiful little bag which he always kept with him.
Soon afterwards, his real son escaped from the bandits and found his way home. He arrived at his father’s new cottage at midnight and knocked at the door. The father, still grieving asked: “Who is it?” The child answered, it is me papa, open the door!” But in his agitated state of mind, convinced his son was dead, the father thought that some young boy was making fun of him. He shouted: “Go away” and continued to cry. After some time, the child left.
Father and son never saw each other again.”

After this story, the Buddha said: “Sometime, somewhere, you take something to be the truth. If you cling to it so much, even when the truth comes in person and knocks on your door, you will not open it.”

1. Anita Bowden says:

What a beautiful and moving story and lesson, dear Amira! ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much Anita! I felt if is kind of what Matias teaches about what we consider to be absolute “truth”…Have a lovely day,! Much love! ❤ ❤ ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Anita Bowden says:

I thought the same thing! 😊❤️. You have a lovely day, well! 😊❤️

Liked by 2 people

2. Jeff Flesch says:

Wow, that is so powerful, and so very true. Phew. Amazing. Thank you for sharing.❤️

1. Thank you so much Jeff! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the story 🙂

1. Jeff Flesch says:

Indeed, I did, very much so. You’re welcome, my pleasure. 🙂

3. Thanks for sharing, my dear friend Amira 🙂

Indeed, we are so much blind and attached to our imaginations, expectations, wishes, prejudices that we have no room to allow the truth to enter us, even when the truth is knocking at our door…

Have a great time, my friend
    From heart to heart
    Didi

1. Thank you so much for your contribution dear Didi! Yes, I fully agree with you my friend! 🙂 ❤ You too, enjoy a peaceful week. In Oneness, Amira ❤ ❤ ❤

4. True and in life we become so blind that we forget when truth knocks on our door. Lovely and profound story, Amira.

1. Thank you so much dear Kamal for your valuable comment, I fully agree with you, that is why like you, I also enjoy these stories with profound lessons.:) ❤ ❤ ❤

1. True and agree totally with your words Amira. You are always welcome dear 💗💗💗💗

5. PAmit says:

heard this story in school🙂…This story has keeping its gravity and touchabillty for thinking now also🙏

1. Thank you for your visit and your comment! 🙂 Yes, indeed, some stories can easily go through the test of time, and this one has a timeless lesson for sure!

1. PAmit says: