“Symbols” by Thomas Merton

photo_2018-05-29_17-30-32.jpg3

“Symbols”

Traditionally, the value of the symbol is precisely in its apparent uselessness

as a means of simple communication.  It is ordered toward communion,

not to communication. Because it is not an efficient mode of communicating

information, the symbol can achieve a higher purpose, beyond

cause and effect. Instead of establishing a new contact by a meeting of minds

in the sharing of news, the symbol tells nothing new:

it revives our awareness of what we already know,

and deepens our awareness. What is “new” in the symbol is the ever new

discovery of a new depth and a new actuality in what is and always has been.

The function of the symbol is to manifest a union that already exists

but is not fully realized.  The symbol awakens awareness or restores it.

Therefore it does not aim at communication but at communion.

Communion is the awareness of participation in an ontological reality:

in the mystery of being, of human love, of redemptive mystery,

of contemplative truth,

~ Thomas Merton

from Merton’s Palace of Nowhere
by James Finley
flower

1. True words of wisdom and guidance is a symbol. Great pointers 👍👍👍👍👍

Liked by 3 people

1. Thank you dear Kamal! I have put my blog on hold so I can have the time to pursue new interests.
      Merry Christmas my friend and may you and your family have a very blessed New Year!!!
      Much love,
      Amira ❤ ❤ ❤

1. Welcome 😊😊😊 dear Amira. So nice to be hearing from you after a long time. Missed you. Merry Christmas to you and your family too. Have a great year ahead ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Liked by 2 people

2. Hello, Amira, hope all is well with you! zaza

Liked by 3 people

1. Merry Christmas dear Zaza!!! All is well, thank you so much for your loving care. My blog is on hold for now, as I pursue other interests which are keeping me busy. I want to wish you and your family a new year filled with unlimited blessings!!! Much love, Amira ❤ ❤ ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. O dear Amira, your visit now delights me, a gift from heaven. I am happy for your new endeavors and wish you great success. I would like to share your good news with Kamal, she also was worried about you. Hope you will visit as time permits, with great love, Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2020 new Year!

3. Margaret says:

Hi Amira,
    Long time & hope you are well Missed your presence here. Thank you for the lovely post & I will copy the flower of life in my journal ❤️🙂

Liked by 3 people

1. Merry Christmas dear Margaret! Thank you so much for your lovely message and your care. All is well. I have been busy pursuing other interests and for now I decided put aside blogging. I had also missed a few comments from a while back, which I discovered today by chance!
      I hope all is well with you and I wish you a blessed New Year!
      Much love,
      Amira. ❤ ❤ ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. Margaret says:

A blessed new year to you also Amira. Glad all is well and hope you will feel refreshed by reducing your blogging commitments.
        I certainly have benefited from temporarily deactivating my Facebook account to free up some time.

Liked by 2 people

2. Margaret says:

❤️❤️❤️🎄

Liked by 2 people

4. organicschat says:

What a lovely post Amira. Beautifully expressed by Thomas Merton. I hope you are well dearest friend. I see that this post is from August 5 so indeed, I do hope all is well. Much love 💖💕🌷🌳🍃

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much dear Michèle for your lovely sentiments and care. I am well. I have been pursuing new interests so for now the blog is on hold. However, I hope to catch up reading your posts at some point soon.
      All my best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a joyful, healthy, enlightening 2020! May all your dreams come true! Much love back to you belle amie!!! ❤ ❤ ❤

Liked by 2 people

1. organicschat says:

How lovely to hear from you!! SO happy you are pursuing other passions. That’s been my experience with YouTube as well. Thank you for your kind wishes. Wishing you an amazing 2020!! ⛄💗💞

Liked by 2 people

5. Merry Christmas! I have not seen of your posts in a long while! I pray all is well with you.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you dear Michele! Yes, all is well here, I am just pursuing new interests right now. I am going to have to catch up with some of your posts as well. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family as well, and may you have a blessed 2020, in which all your dreams come true!
      Much love, Amira ❤ ❤ ❤

6. Margaret says:

How lovely to hear from you Amira and to know you are well.
    Happy Christmas and a peaceful new year.
    Of course it is good to step back sometimes to pursue other interests.
    I am currently in The Gambia, West Africa until 1st April but will blog post as I see fit as freeing my time up from Facebook has been a life changer ❤️

Liked by 2 people