- The object of education is to teach us to love what is beautiful.
- Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, because rhythm and harmony find their way into the inward places of the soul.
- Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.
- I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with
- When men speak ill of you, live so as nobody may believe them.
- For neither birth, nor wealth, nor honors, can awaken in the minds of men the principles which should guide those who from their youth aspire to an honorable and excellent life, as Love awakens them
- At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.
- You cannot conceive the many without the one.
- Light is the shadow of God.
- Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.
- Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.