- To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.
- “Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.”
Our prayers should be for blessings in general, for God knows best what is good for us.
- He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.
It is not living that matters, but living rightly.
The poets are only the interpreters of the gods.
- “What a lot of things there are a man can do without.”
- “I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.”