February 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Day!
Here are some ideas to celebrate this day and make a wave of kindness around the world:
- Pay it Backward: buy coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Compliment the first three people you talk to today.
- Send a positive text message or email to 3 different people right now.
- Donate old towels or blankets to an animal shelter.
- Let someone go in front of you in line who only has a few items.
- Leave quarters at the laundromat.
- Encounter someone in customer service who is especially kind? Take an extra five minutes to tell their manager.
- Try to make sure every person in a group conversation feels included.
- Send a gratitude email to a coworker who deserves more recognition.
- Practice self-kindness and spend 30 minutes doing something you love today.
- Give away stuff for free on Craig’s List or drop it off at the Salvation Army.
- Write a gratitude list in the morning and again in the evening.
- While you’re out, compliment a parent on how well-behaved their child is.
- When you’re throwing something away on the street, pick up any litter around you and put that in the trash too.
- Pay the toll for the person behind you.
- Put 30 paper hearts in a box. On each cutout write something that is special about your partner or a friend. Give them the box and tell them to pull out a heart anytime they need a pick-me-up.
- Everyone is important. Learn the names of your office security guard, the person at the front desk and other people you see every day. Greet them by name. Also say “hello” to strangers and smile. These acts of kindness are so easy, and they almost always make people smile.
- Write your partner, your kids or grand kids a list of things you love about them.
- Purchase extra dog or cat food and bring it to an animal shelter.
- Keep an extra umbrella at work, so you can lend it out when it rains.
- Leave a box of goodies in your mailbox for your mail carrier.
- Put your phone away while in the company of others.
- When you hear that discouraging voice in your head, tell yourself something positive — you deserve kindness too!